Saturday, May 16, 2020

The Acworth Chambers



Located on a hilltop in Acworth are many small enclosures and stone rows that have excited the curiosity of people for the last century. William Goodwin’s 1947 book History of Great Ireland in New England compared the site in Acworth to similar sites in Europe and hypothesized that the chambers and stone rows were built by Irish monks settling the northeast centuries before the arrival of Columbus.

- Acworth Chambers, New England Antiquities Research Association



The Acworth Chambers have been on my radar for many years, but I never had enough clues on their whereabouts to take a shot at finding them. Anywhere from three to four stone chambers - beehive huts similar to those in Newton, Danville, and of course Mystery Hill in Salem - were said to exist in this western New Hampshire town. Several sources confirmed the chambers were on Kennedy Hill, but with only that to go on finding them meant I was facing an all out police-sweep over a patch of woods Google Earth estimated to be at least 1,000 acres, and there were just too many caves and mineshafts I had better intel on than to spend a weekend tackling those odds. That changed a few years ago when I was given a solid lead to where they were. Not exact coordinates, but a few landmark references that would bring me to a certain location, from which point if I were to keep walking uphill the structures would be a can't miss. It still took a while for this expedition to find its way to the top of my to-do list, but finally this spring my wife and I made the cross-state drive to try and search them out.

I'm pretty good at sniffing out the existence of unusual places such as this, but my skill level takes a significant dropoff when it comes to figuring out the best way to reach them. I'm a direct-line kind of hiker - meaning I'll walk through a swamp if my GPS tells me that's the quickest route - and so being a tour guide is probably nowhere in my future. Nor have I gotten the knack for taking those few extra minutes to figure out the smartest route to drive someplace. Had I done so on this day I would have realized the class VI road we were headed toward was closed to motorized vehicles, and that we could have parked on the opposite side of Kennedy Hill and saved over two miles of walking.


But if I was one of those people who thinks everything happens for a reason, I'd say we were meant to walk this road in order to find some of the more impressive stone walls we've come across. I'm not that type of deterministic person, but we did spend the first part of our day admiring all the treasures these woods were loaded with.


We also found a unique one that I'm still scratching my head over. We've walked many miles of stone walls in our travels, but I've never come across one that had a colorful rock like this as part of it. Unlike Red in Shawshank Redemption though, I found no tin can full of money underneath.


Eventually we hit the first of the landmarks we'd been told to watch for, and after taking a series of turns we were in the vicinity of where the chambers were said to be. My wife and I are way too competitive to look for these things together, so she picked her side of the woods and I picked my side and the chase was on. I won round one when from a distance I spotted this completely intact chamber.
Acworth Chamber

I mention that this first chamber was fully intact because everything we'd researched prior to this had referred to these as the Acworth Chambers, but this was the only complete one we found. My wife located a pile of rocks that resembled a cairn you'd find on a mountain trail, and although I wasn't initially impressed she pointed out the flat stones similar to those on the intact chamber's walls and a nearby slab that may have been part of this one's roof. She was quite certain this had once been another chamber that was destroyed or collapsed in on itself, in later research described it as exactly that in The Ruins of Great Ireland in New England, by William Goodwin.
Collapsed Chamber

Structure number three was also a tricky one. Although obviously something man-made, my first thought was that this was a firepit built in recent years, probably by some locals who thought this an interesting place to hang out. We went back and forth on whether it was the dismantled remains of a third chamber, but in the end we're just weekend warriors and not serious researchers and we left with more questions than answers. Soon after we reached out to James Gage of Stone Structures of Northeastern United States, a local expert I've gone to several times when I've gotten myself in over my head. He was familiar with the site and explained that this third structure was a ceremonial Native American enclosure, saying the following:

"Enclosures are well documented within Native American cultures across the U.S. They come in a variety of shapes, size, and building materials. Enclosures defined a sacred space in which a ceremonial or ritual took place. In many cases they defined a ceremonial space in which a person interacted with one or (more) spirits. They were used by medicine people as well (as) ordinary members of tribes. In the American West enclosures are associated with vision quest rituals. The northeast tribes did not have a strong vision quest tradition and therefore the enclosures were likely used for other ceremonies."
- James Gage, 2020

Native American Ceremonial Enclosure

Gage allowed me to share this information as part of his mission to educate the public about historical locations such as this one, and to encourage their preservation. I also appreciated his insight as to who built them in the first place, because you could put two stone structures next to each other and I wouldn't be able to identify which one was built by Native Americans for ceremonial purposes, and which one was built by local youths to sit around a fire telling ghost stories - perhaps every bit a ceremonial purpose in its own right. The structures we found that day are believed to be built by the former group, and having stood on this hilltop for possibly hundreds of years already, with the proper respect and preservation they'll hopefully be standing here for hundreds of more to come.



Other Cool Chambers:

2 comments:



  1. Ahoy Captain! I lead an Adventure English class out of Plymouth, NH and we love your blog. We are tracking down old mines, ourselves, and are having trouble finding Plume. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, send me an email at daverondinone@gmail.com. Also, I'm very interested to hear what an Adventure Class is :)

      Delete