Monday, August 1, 2016

Hammond Castle



I don't play the lottery, but if someday I ever find myself extremely wealthy I hope I do something fun with it and not just sit on the money. I want to be like John Hammond Jr of Gloucester, Massachusetts. I want to build a castle.

Building a castle might be the thing locals of Gloucester remember him best by, but John Hammond was an extremely motivated person his entire life. A world traveler who associated with people such as Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell, he himself was an inventory with over 800 patents and 400 inventions to his name. His specialty was in radio waves, and he's considered by most to be the father of radio control.

Traveling throughout Europe for many years, Hammond developed a love for medieval architecture and what it represented. He was fascinated by its atmosphere, one he described as "haunting old monuments and buildings" and that "dissipated the obscurity of time." Basically, they made him feel like he'd traveled to a land long ago. Of course we all feel that way, but Hammond had enough money to do something about it. This combination of love and means, along with a need for someplace to store his vast collection of artifacts, led to the construction of Hammond Castle.

Tucked behind the trees of Hesperus Ave in Gloucester, you could almost drive right past the castle without noticing it if not for the signs and large parking lot. It's not until you're coming down the walkway that the building really starts to take shape.

Once inside the castle we were given the choice of joining a group or doing a self-guided tour. We decided to go it on our own. I've no doubt we missed some good history doing it this way, but at the same time I didn't end up with a group of people waiting impatiently when I wanted to walk up and down the hidden staircase one more time, or when I took a few extra minutes staring at a coat-of-arms and wondering if I'd fit into it.

I found the most impressive room, by sheer size alone, to be the Great Hall. Fashioned after those of the European castles Hammond visited, this hall measures 100' in length and 60' in height.

Not just the vastness was impressive, but all throughout the hall were treasures and artifacts. This human skull had no description, but researching it later we learned it is believed to belong to a sailor from Christopher Columbus's crew.

The next spot you don't want to miss is the courtyard, which is situated within the castle walls. Another reason I like Hammond is he apparently had a prankster side to him. During parties he would give guests a fright by jumping off the balcony (where this picture was taken) and into what they thought was shallow water. However this deceptive looking pool was actually almost 9' deep.

The front of the castle is the best view to really capture its size and beauty. It also provides some wonderful photo opportunities. I always drag the family into at least one of them.

Although sometimes, ones own feet can be even more captivating that a medieval castle.

The grounds are open for public access at no charge, but there is a modest fee to tour the inside of Hammond Castle. We consider this well worth the price for anyone interested in taking a trip back in time, which should be everyone. But just in case all this hasn't been enough to tempt you, know that I didn't even show you the life-size nude statue Hammond commissioned of himself for his wife, which stands by the pool.

Yet another reason why I like this fellow so much.

Links:
Official Website
Photo Album

2 comments:

  1. You should really write a tour book! Love the trips and descriptions. I feel as if I am with you through it all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I hope this means some of our love for these adventures is showing through in the blog :)

      Delete