Thursday, November 3, 2016

War Bunkers of Fort Dearborn



Of all the places I have written or plan to write about, the one I have visited more often than any other is Fort Dearborn at Odiorne Point in Rye. I've been coming here as far back as elementary school field trips in the 1980's, and I've been here as recently as the fall of 2016.

Driving into Odiorne Point, you know you're in for a good time the moment the first bunker comes into view. Like other bunkers within the park this one is a series of underground rooms and tunnels masquerading as a hill, complete with a covering of bushes and trees. The giveaways are the entrances, one of which is flanked by these impressive looking bombs.
As  much as I've wanted to see inside this first bunker, I've never found a time when it was accessible. But although it's remained tight, there's a second and larger one in the woods we've generally have better luck with thanks to those mischievous young kids. Most recently a hole had been punched through the wall near this entrance.

I almost had Logan convinced to come inside with me, but it's dark and creepy in there and he got no further than one leg through the opening before wishing me luck. Maybe next year. So in I went alone, and because I'm always so well prepared I began my journey down this long hallway with nothing other than my cell phone flashlight. The dot of light you're seeing in the distance is me looking back at the hole I crawled through.

Perhaps a dozen rooms line one entire side of the hallway, and I wandered through most of them while Tina periodically called out in her best whisper-yell to ask if I was alright.

Getting into this bunker already made that day a successful trip, so after climbing back out I was happy just to wander the trails a bit before heading home. Our wanderings eventually led us to the third bunker. This one never excited me much because not only were its entrances barred over, but giant rocks had been piled over the bars to double the protection from getting inside.

Exploring this one had always been a dead end, but here's where this day went from being good to being great. Me being curious and poking around the rocks, I found a spot that - when I lay down and sucked in my gut - I was able to slither through the rocks, around the gate, and into the bunker. Just like that I found myself standing inside bunker number three, taking selfies.

Rather than a long, straight tunnel like the previous one, this bunker sits inside in a round hill and has several twists and turns.

In the corner of one room I found this rotting, unidentifiable corpse. I concluded it was either a very large bird or the mythical chupacabra.

I also found the limits of what I was willing to do that day. This crawlspace was big enough for me to enter, but after seeing the creatures that wandered around on the upper levels of this place, that hole remained unexplored.

Looking at the graffiti it became apparent that, somehow or another, people have been getting in and out of this bunker for decades. Finally, I could add myself to that exclusive club.

Our last place to explore that day was this building in the woods. Much tamer that the war bunkers but perfect for the younger adventurers in our group.

If you live anywhere near the Seacoast and have not visited Odiorne Point yet, I suggest moving this to the top of your to-do list. It doesn't matter what your interests are because Odiorne Point has something for everyone; a playground for the younger kids, a science center for all ages, miles of trails, long stretches of sand to sunbath in, the ocean to wade through ...

... and of course my personal favorite, war bunkers.

Links:
Photo Album

5 comments:

  1. I don't remember any of the bunkers being open when we used to go there, and we would go several times a year. Amazing what changes there have been over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, there was a time when none of them were accessible. At the moment 2 of the 4 can be entered, although one not easily. I found a rusted old car jack which I assume is how the boulders were shifted to gain access to the harder bunker.

      Delete
  2. I found these bunkers in 1975. It was not state park. We climbed over a chain fence. Found a hole on some concrete and went inside .It was creepy. Went there 3 time. Drink beer and have a great time. 44 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Email is marfowler@msn.com. If any one knows about these bunkers

    ReplyDelete
  4. What they made times to explore

    ReplyDelete